Well isn't it great to have the Quiz back? A combination of Monday Night Newcastle Games, Christmas Eve and New Years Eve meant that we only had the one Quiz in December but here we go with a hopefully uninterrupted series of Quiz Nights to kick off 2013.
What a turnout for our first Quiz of the new year, ten teams with 39 people involved took the prize money on offer to an incredible £124 for the nights winners. Quiz Master John was on top form and just after nine we got stuck into our 2012 retrospective quiz starting off with a picture round about celebs that didn't make it through the year.
Our first question round was a sort of General Knowledge 'Review' of the year and although there was a bit of groaning at some of the questions most teams actually did fairly well.
In the Picture Round we had no lingering New Year hangovers from The Bullets and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist who shot into the lead with full marks of 12. Quinn'll Fix It, Doesn't Bloody Matter We're Not Going To Win and Thanks Blokes At The Bar all missed out on one to return 11 and we had nines from The Vintners and the intriguingly named Shaving All My Muff For You. Some of the answers to the pic round were good tonight, there were answers that named celebs still going strong and poor Eric Sykes (RIP) got called Jimmy Saville due to his cigar… ouch!
In the 2012 General Knowledge Review Quinn'll Fix It obviously paid attention during 2012 as they returned a perfect ten, New Year, Same Idiots, Thanks Blokes At The Bar and Shaving All My Muff For You both had their fingers (nearly) on the pulse with nines and She And Him and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist had kept almost up to date with events on 8. Short memories for the rest of the teams? We don't think some of these questions were that hard, what do you think?
4. What is the name of the Mars Science Laboratory’s robotic rover, which successfully landed on Mars on 6 August?
3. In May a pastel version of which famous artwork sold for $120 million in a New York City auction, setting a new world record?
So careering into the Music Round we had Quinn'll Fix It narrowly edging it with 21, Thanks Blokes At The Bar and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist close on 20, The Bullets on 19 and Shaving All My Muff For You on 18.
The Music Round was again 2012 based and a couple of the questions this time had a few teams stumped. The best score in the round went to The Vintners with 8 from ten followed by no less than five teams on 7, Quinn'll Fix It, The Nation Of Quizlam Featuring Student Loans, The Bullets, Thanks Blokes At The Bar and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist. No ancient history (from the 60's) this week, can you remember the answers to these music questions all relating to 2012?
14. Which US musician sang a reworked version of one of his biggest selling hits during Barack Obama’s final day of campaigning in Ohio, declaring that he had “99 problems but Mitt ain’t one?”
18. Which veteran guitarist did Jessie J perform with at the London 2012 Olympics closing ceremony?
So going into half time snacks we had a leader board as follows: in pole Quinn'll Fix It on 28, sloppy seconds for Thanks Blokes At The Bar and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist on 27 and in shouting distance we had The Bullets on 26 and The Vintners on 25. It was all to play for but first those half time snacks...
After the divine delicacies provided for the Christmas Quiz we were obviously prepared for some more austere snacks tonight but Freda did us proud with quality peanuts, (what suspiciously looked like) wheat crunchies and those wheel shaped savouries you get on aeroplanes, but they all went down tremendously well as all the snack bowls came back empty. Following the ten minutes for eats, nicotine hits and ordering more beers it was time to resume the main event and we were into the 2012 Sport Round.
What a spread of scores we had for Sport! The Nation Of Quizlam Featuring Student Loans took the round with an Olympic Gold perfect ten, followed closely by New Year, Same Idiots and The Bullets on nine with Quinn'll Fix It and Shaving All My Muff For You on eight. Then we had a seven from both Thanks Blokes At The Bar and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist with the rest of the teams cascading down the numbers to a bottom placed four from the aptly named Doesn't Bloody Matter We're Not Going To Win (our friends The Girls). There was obviously some people who were interested in the sport of 2012 and others who didn't give a flying… fig! what were you?
21. Who scored Manchester City’s last-minute goal against Queens Park Rangers in May to win the club their first Premier League title?
30. The 2012 Olympic Games’ mascots Wenlock and Mandeville were described by a Canadian newspaper as a product of a “drunken one-night stand between a Teletubby and” what other TV character?
Into the final round and we had Quinn'll Fix It in the lead by a point on 36, The Bullets were second on 35 and we had Thanks Blokes At The Bar and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist on 34. There were also a couple of outsiders, New Year, Same Idiots and Shaving All My Muff For You on 32… it was very close, with six teams still in the running going into the final round 2012 Film & TV.
Nobody found this round easy, top score was eight and five teams returned sevens, it was nip and tuck, here's a couple of samples:
34. Which (Channel 4) TV series does the lead girl in Robbie Williams’ ‘Candy’ video come from?
35. Which actor took the lead role in The Woman In Black?
It was The Bullets who won the round to put them in top spot with 43 points. Both Thanks Blokes At The Bar and A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist got sevens to get close with a 41 point total but Quinn'll Fix It also got a seven to equal The Bullets with a 43, so that meant only one thing and Quiz Master John was getting very excited… it's a Dart Off!
The bulb was broken for the dart board light so that added a further element of difficulty to the play off, Quiz Master John retitled the decider, it was now a 'Dark Dart Off!'. Two rounds of three darts each, The Bullets were up first and what a combination for a tense opening three darts, 39 scored. Quinn'll Fix It's Googs stepped up to the ockey and confidently threw his darts but a disappointing 19 was his resulting score. The Bullets man was up once more and he despatched another cool 37 to give Googs a massive 58 to win, the pressure told and he only managed 21, so it was well done and a round of applause for our dart player from The Bullets. Now all they had to do was draw the cash from the three envelopes presented by barman Chris. Another member of the team took this responsibility, he went for the outer left of the three envelopes on offer, slowly opened it and gleefully announced 'Cash Prize'. Well done The Bullets £124 between the five of you, not a bad return for a fun night out at the quiz!
43. The Bullets (won the Dark Dart Off)
43. Quinn'll Fix It
41. Thanks Blokes At The Bar
41. A Few Pissheads And One Broken Wrist
39. Shaving All My Muff For You
38. New Year, Same Idiots
37. The Vintners
35. The Nation Of Quizlam Featuring Student Loans
30. She And Him
28. Doesn't Bloody Matter We're Not Going To Win
Quiz Master John, who'd been adding innuendos all night, took great pleasure in reading out the Wild Card Question:
The last question of our 2012 Quiz was about Bill ‘The Cock’ Roach who plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street. Bill’s first appearence in Corrie was the 9th December 1960 and he’s been an ever present character in the show ever since.
Yes, you’ve probably guessed it, the Wild Card Question tonight is, how many episodes of Coronation Street, in the 52 years since his ‘cocky’ debut, has Ken Barlow appeared in up to the the last day of 2012.
A clue... although he’s an ever present he has not appeared in every single episode!
The crowd had already had their Post-Its speedily delivered by Barman Chris as the Dark Dart Off was unfolding so the prize was announced as £26 to the person who could get closest to the answer and everybody started scribbling away. The yellow squares of paper started to mount up on Quiz Master John's desk where he sifted the good from the bad and the just plain ludicrous until he announced we had a winner. Unbelievably just 59 episodes out from the actual answer we had Rob, who got a hearty round of appluase as he stepped up to the bar to claim his £26. Rob has already won the Wild Card three times before and now ties with his better half Amy as the joint top winners of the Colly Wild Card with four wins each! Better known in the Quiz as our regular Quizzers She and Him this means that between them they have won eight of the 52 Wild Cards since the quiz started, that's some statistic. In fact if the Tax Man hears about it he'll be wanting a slice of that action as well as that adds up to quite a chunk of dosh too!
So that was it, just about last orders and Quiz Master John signed off our first Quiz of 2013 with a cheery "Goodnight and God Bless". Great night, thanks to everyone who turned out. We are so glad that all those Monday night interruptions in December didn't dampen anyones enthusiasm for The Colly Quiz.
One of the laughs of the night had to be one of the answers offered for question 6 which asked 'In March 2012 after 244 years of publication, what stopped its print edition?'… Quiz Master John could hardly speak for laughing when he told us all that one of the Answers he got was the News of the World! Suggested 17th Century world exclusive headlines in the comment box at the bottom please!
4. What is the name of the Mars Science Laboratory’s robotic rover, which successfully landed on Mars on 6 August? Curiosity
3. In May a pastel version of which famous artwork sold for $120 million in a New York City auction, setting a new world record? A version of ‘The Scream’, by Edvard Munch
14. Which US musician sang a reworked version of one of his biggest selling hits during Barack Obama’s final day of campaigning in Ohio, declaring that he had “99 problems but Mitt ain’t one?” Jay-Z
8. Which veteran guitarist did Jessie J perform with at the London 2012 Olympics closing ceremony? Brian May of Queen
21. Who scored Manchester City’s last-minute goal against Queens Park Rangers in May to win the club their first Premier League title? Sergio Aguero
30. The 2012 Olympic Games’ mascots Wenlock and Mandeville were described by a Canadian newspaper as a product of a “drunken one-night stand between a Teletubby and” what other TV character? Dalek
34. Which (Channel 4) TV series does the lead girl in Robbie Williams’ ‘Candy’ video come from? The girl is Kaya Scodelario and the show is Skins
35. Which actor took the lead role in The Woman In Black? Daniel Radcliffe
The Wild Card Answer: According to Corriepedia, Ken Barlow has appeared in 4,087 episodes of the total 8,030 Corries up to to 31/12/12.